A rich buttery cake, Boterkoek means Butter Cake in Dutch. This delciouse treat is so simple to make and great for serving to guests or for afternoon tea!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- egg yolk for brushing on top
- optional slivered almonds for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- In the bowl of a stans mixer add your room temperature or softened butter and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy 3-5 min.
- Add in your egg and almond extract if using to the bowl and beat well.
- Add in your flour to the bowl and mix until incorporated.
- You want your dough to be moist enough that there are no crumbly bits left in the bottom of the bowl.
- Now grab a 9″ round cake pan or pie plate and spay with cooking spray. Spreading your mixture evenly into the pan, pat it in until its even. Remember this will be more like a dough and not like a runny cake mix. It helps to run your hands under water first so the dough doesn’t stick to them.
- Brush the top with beaten egg yolk, heavy cream or milk. Traditional Boterkoek is topped with sliced almonds or left without a toping.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 min until lightly golden brown on the edges and top.You do not want to over bake this cake or it will be dry. Let cool completely before cutting into to help it set.